Google’s March 2023 core algorithm update: what you need to know for your SEO
As the most popular search engine in the world, Google is constantly updating its algorithm to provide users with the best possible search experience. In March 2023, Google released its latest core algorithm update, which will impact websites’ rankings and search visibility. If you’re a website owner or digital marketer, here’s what you need to know.
What is a Core Algorithm Update?
Google’s core algorithm update is a significant update that affects how the search engine crawls and indexes web pages. It can impact website rankings and visibility in search results, and some websites may experience fluctuations in traffic and rankings following an update. Core algorithm updates happen several times a year, and they’re designed to improve the search experience for users by rewarding high-quality, relevant content and penalising low-quality or spammy content.
What’s Changed in the March 2023 Update?
Google has not yet disclosed all specific details about the changes in the March 2023 core algorithm update. However, experts say that the update will focus on improving the search engine’s ability to identify and rank high-quality content and high-quality User Experience. So it’s a fair assumption that the consequences of this update will be affected by key elements such as the content and performance of your website.
What Should You Do if You’re Affected?
If your website is starting to experience a drop in traffic or rankings following the March 2023 core algorithm update, there are several steps you can take to recover. First,
- Assess your website’s content and make sure that it’s high-quality, relevant and provides value to your target audience.
- Update and improve any outdated or thin content on your site, and
- Ensure that your website’s meta-data structure is optimised for search engines.
- Additionally, make sure your website follows best practices for technical SEO, such as having fast page load times, mobile-friendly design, and secure HTTPS connections.
- Finally, build up some high-quality backlinks to your website from authoritative sources in your industry.
These steps can help improve your website’s search visibility and rankings over time and hopefully counter the effects of Google’s update.
As we move through 2023, it will likely become more evident to website owners that Google’s March update has been a significant change impacting search visibility. By following best practices for technical SEO and content creation, website owners can recover from potential negative impacts of the update and continue to improve their website’s search performance in the future.